Under the auspices of Mr. Adel Labib, the Governor of Alexandria, on the occasion of the summer’s beginning, in cooperation with the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and in coordination with the Women and Development Society in Alexandria, ECWR has organized an awareness day for youth This awareness day targets a large number of youth in order to discuss ways to develop Alexandria into a civilized governorate, free from violence and sexual harassment. The discussion will focus on how to face sexual harassment epidemic in Alexandria.
Alexandria is a very important governorate for it is one for Egyptians and non-Egyptians as well, and is considered to be the mermaid of the Mediterranean Sea. Moreover, this awareness day aims to raise women’s awareness of the meaning of sexual harassment and their own rights, because sexual harassment is considered a crime. Also, our goal is to increase men’s awareness concerning the importance of confronting sexual harassment, in order to maintain the security of society in general and specifically their families’ security. Also, our goal is to clarify the effects of sexual harassment on women, encouraging the whole society to interfere if any woman is exposed to sexual harassment, spreading awareness among children on sexual harassment and emphasizing the value of respect, and opposing violence.
The events of the day will proceed as follows:
1. An opening address by:
- Alexandria governor, Mr. Adel Labib
- ECWR Chair Ms. Nehad Abul Komsan
- Chair of Women and Development Society, Ms. Aida Nour Eddine
2. Introducing the Sexual Harassment Campaign: “Safe Streets for All”
3. Showing “Very Important” Film about combating the sexual harassment of children
4. Discussing the film with young men and young women
5. Discussing the most important legal aspects of sexual harassment
6. Introducing the proposed draft law of ECWR, which calls for criminalizing harassment
7. General discussions about legal procedures and how to deal with the harasser
There will be a concert by a band from Alexandria named “Voice in the Crowd”,(“Sout fel Zahma”), at the end of the day. The Awareness day will be held within the framework of ECWR’s “Safe Streets for All” campaign to combat sexual harassment in Egypt. The awareness day will be held at El Shalalat club, on Saturday June 26th,
2010 from 10:00 am till 1:00 pm.